2018-2021 Tundra 5.7L Custom Features - Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ColoradoTundra View Post

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This has been going on since January and the truck has good power, just the startup issue. We, as well the the tuning shop MoFab, emailed back and forth with you a little over support tickets in Feb - March, but I eventually took my truck back and started trying to figure out the issue myself as they were not able to figure it out.

It is so weird, the truck starts perfectly at the first cold start of the day, or also when we had really cold temperatures here in CO. It is when it is warmed up on re-starts that there is an issue, which made me think it was something to do with one of the table that referenced coolant temperature.

1. Did they read our Supercharger Tuning guide? We literally posted the exact Injector value to use with DW 650cc injectors. Immediate and perfect start up on our test truck every time, even without touching the cranking IPW tables.

When this started in January, I don't think the guide was available. Right now I can only pull up the FFV tuning guide that shows 260 base flow, I am not on my tuning computer so I can look into the program files. Is there a non- FFV tuning guide as well? Or does 260 apply to DW 650cc injectors in non-flex fuel also?

Right now the tune is set at Port Injector Base Flow 232.xxx and the minimum pulse width is set at 0.3. I do see the note that normally the injector pulse width does not need to be modified, could that be my issue?

My WOT AFR seems correct between 10.5 - 11.

2. Who is the shop doing the tuning?

MoFab LLC in Parker, CO: https://g.page/MOFAB-LLC?share https://www.mo-fab.com/ - Throughout my research, they seemed to be the most reputable shop in my area and have many good reviews going back 18 years with the same tuner. I spoke with them for 4 months before bringing the truck there as they were initially hesitant to use anything other than HPTuners.

The truck made great power and cold starts or immediate warm re-starts at the shop were all great. The dyno numbers were great also. When I went to pick it up, after it was sitting for a while, but still warm, is when the startup issue was happening. You are correct, they immediately blamed the program and asked for cranking and priming IPW tables, which you quickly added for us. I didn't think those were the issue, since no other shop had to change those. Looking at MoFab's changes, it looks like they lowered the IPW for warmer coolant temps, which helped in certain temp ranges, but not others. They were thinking it was getting too much gas. I have since copied and passed all the prime and crank IPW table back to the stock tables.

After looking at the tune and testing fuel for 3 weeks, they gave me a very small refund and were no longer able to help.

I did call Running 4 Tacos since they are on your tuning list, but they said they were not ready yet to do a stage 2 dyno tune.

3. I don't think your fuel pressure issue is normal. It should maintain some pressure for a while, and it should prime immediately with cranking.

I installed a fuel gauge and started looking into fuel issues. I replaced the injectors with a new set of DW 650 cc, as well as another new OEM FPR (OEM 43.5 PSI regulator boost referenced to TVS2650. With vacuum, fuel pressure at idle is 34 PSI), as those were the only fuel items that were changed before the issue started happening. I did not think it was the fuel pump because I had been using the 300c for 6 months at that point with no issues.

From my recent monitoring, the pressure holds at 30 PSI after shutoff and then bleeds off to 0 within the next hour or so pretty linearly. When I start cranking, the pressure does immediately go back up to 34 PSI. I was thinking this was the issue since I have been told the fuel system should hold pressure for days, however; DeatschWerks said that during bench testing most pumps are down to 5 PSI within a couple hours, so mine may not be that out of spec since it is holding at 30 PSI for 30 minutes or so. The Toyota service manual only shows that it needs to be above 20 PSI 5 min after shutoff, so I dont know exactly what it should be over a longer timeframe.

Recently, I have mainly only had brief hesitation while starting when the coolant temp is hot and the fuel pressure has dropped to 0. It starts, almost seems to pause for a second, then the RPM's increase and it runs fine. I was still thinking this was a fuel pressure issue and was planning on paying a shop to replace the fuel pump in case it is the check valve going bad. HOWEVER, there have been 3-4 times where I shut the truck off for 5 min or so and then when I restart it has the very bad long crank issue that I was talking about. In these instances, the fuel pressure was still holding at 30 PSI, and hadn't bleed off yet, when I went to start the truck. Since it still had pressure, but was still having the long crank issue, I just recently started looking back towards a tune issue vs. mechanical.

I had another tuner look at the file briefly and he said he didn't see anything strange, but he did say that sometimes he has to increase idle airflow tables to compensate. He said a good way to test if this would help the issue was to hold the throttle down a little, maybe 10 - 20%, while starting to see if I still had the issue. If holding the throttle helped the startup issue, then he said adding idle air could possibly fix it. Lately I have been starting the truck at warm starts holding the pedal and then immediately letting off once I see RPM's (or else it will rev up), and it seems to help the issue.

Is there anything else in the tune that I should be looking at before idle air? Since it starts perfect the first cold start of the day, I was trying to look into all the tables that reference coolant temp.

Thank you so much for any help!
    I'm sending you a message on zendesk

Comment

• Originally posted by VFTuner View Post

We would be providing this in July after we finalize and release 1.3.0
    Hi, just checking on the progress of this one. VFTuner

Comment

VFTuner 1.3.0 has been out for some time now and its almost the end of July. Is this replacement ECU thing that you offered me happening or should I just assume that this truck is never getting tuned?

Comment

• Originally posted by realprotundra View Post

VFTuner 1.3.0 has been out for some time now and its almost the end of July. Is this replacement ECU thing that you offered me happening or should I just assume that this truck is never getting tuned?
        I will send it to you as soon as I can. There is more to it then simply swapping in another ECU and it being done.

Comment

I will send it to you as soon as I can. There is more to it then simply swapping in another ECU and it being done.
          Is there anything you need from me to get the process going? ECU dump? Other info?

Comment

Same. Let me know what you need from me to get this going. Happy to be the guinea pigs...

Comment

• Originally posted by PNWTundra View Post

Same. Let me know what you need from me to get this going. Happy to be the guinea pigs...
              July and now August have come and gone. Sounds like there is another tuner about to crack the 2020+ Tundras as well so maybe some competition will get this moving.

Comment

July and now August have come and gone. Sounds like there is another tuner about to crack the 2020+ Tundras as well so maybe some competition will get this moving.
                I can guarantee you that if any other tuner is going to crack the 2020, they are going to do so using password unlock protocols that I personally did.

and you can be certain you'll have the luxury of the starter motor issue, which is why we have not released it.

and that's not to say we don't want to release something. But I really don't like the idea of releasing something that has an issue.

Comment

I can guarantee you that if any other tuner is going to crack the 2020, they are going to do so using password unlock protocols that I personally did.

and you can be certain you'll have the luxury of the starter motor issue, which is why we have not released it.

and that's not to say we don't want to release something. But I really don't like the idea of releasing something that has an issue.
                  What is the starter motor issue?

Comment

Not yet, but it's almost ready for 2020 and 2021.

Any update on 2020 Tundra 5.7L VFTuner support and tune pack availability?

I just picked up a 2020 4wd with ECU ID 30CR0001. Unfortunately it wouldn't let me read out the ECU and TCU

Comment

• Originally posted by mZiggy View Post

I just picked up a 2020 4wd with ECU ID 30CR0001. Unfortunately it wouldn't let me read out the ECU and TCU

also watching patiently. 2020 ECU ID 30CQ6001

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetmav View Post

also watching patiently. 2020 ECU ID 30CQ6001
                        I have this file already but not in the software

Originally posted by mZiggy View Post

I do not have this one. That's the ECU ID or the ID on the ECU (the part number)

Comment

I have this file already but not in the software

I do not have this one. That's the ECU ID or the ID on the ECU (the part number)
                          That's all it provided when identified. It didn't even say ECU ID, it just said ID: 30CR0001

Comment

VFTuner I know that working on a product/issue that is only related to 2 model years of an outgoing model is not nearly as lucrative as other things you are likely prioritizing over the 2020-2021 Tundra ECU......but is there any update on this? Are you actually even working on it at this point or is it something that is truly just vaporware? It has been several months since you said you would be sending out ECUs, multiple people offered to provide ECU data to you if you needed it (with no response), and there is still no update.

If its not something that VFTunder/OVTune is going to be doing that is fine, but please just tell us so that so we aren't waiting around/holding VFT Credits/Hardware for no reason.

Comment

VFTuner I know that working on a product/issue that is only related to 2 model years of an outgoing model is not nearly as lucrative as other things you are likely prioritizing over the 2020-2021 Tundra ECU......but is there any update on this? Are you actually even working on it at this point or is it something that is truly just vaporware? It has been several months since you said you would be sending out ECUs, multiple people offered to provide ECU data to you if you needed it (with no response), and there is still no update.

If its not something that VFTunder/OVTune is going to be doing that is fine, but please just tell us so that so we aren't waiting around/holding VFT Credits/Hardware for no reason.

It has nothing to do with it being lucrative or not. I've already explained the challenges, and hold ups to it as a result. I have a 2020 and 2021 ECU On my desk. I don't need everyones ECUs.

It has nothing to do with money, it has nothing to do with prioritization.

Who is holding VF Credits and hardware for no reason? We never sold this for any 2020+ Trucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X