• Show
Clear All

• Gen2 ECU Version 1.3.1.2 Force Flash Recovery

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_488.png
Views:	471
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	5801
    VF Tuner 1.3.1.2 with updated ECU Recovery Tool.

For Gen2 ECUs, with our force flash recovery, you can pretty much guarantee ECU recovery from a bad flash WITHOUT removing the ECU.

No recovery mode.

No boot pins.

No Removing the ECU.

Force flashes custom code allows the ECU to recover the ECU right over CAN, without recovery mode in 99.99% of cases.

Almost zero chance of having to remove the ECU now.

Originally posted by VFTuner View Post
    Click image for larger version

For Gen2 ECUs, with our force flash recovery, you can pretty much guarantee ECU recovery from a bad flash WITHOUT removing the ECU.

No recovery mode.

No boot pins.

No Removing the ECU.

Force flashes custom code allows the ECU to recover the ECU right over CAN, without recovery mode in 99.99% of cases.

1.3.1.2 Download link not working 22:00 edt

Comment

1.3.1.2 download link appears to be working now (22:12 edt). Thank you.

Comment

[QUOTE=VFTuner;n5800]Click image for larger version

No recovery mode.

No boot pins.

No Removing the ECU.

[/QGene?

How do we know if our ECU is Gen2?

2018 TRD SPORT DCLB V6 2WD A/T (04A61)

Comment

I have a bricked flash of a 2021 on 04C21 firmware. ECU recover is not working. I have attempted running the force flash at least two dozen times.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-20_16-44-59.png Views:	0 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	5845

Comment

Originally posted by V2A2 View Post
            I have a bricked flash of a 2021 on 04C21 firmware. ECU recover is not working. I have attempted running the force flash at least two dozen times.

Click image for larger version Name:	2021-07-20_16-44-59.png Views:	0 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	5845
            Send in a Zendesk support ticket with that info.

Were you trying to flash a Stock tune?
            2017 ACLB Sport 6MT BR - 04B14 Ultimate Test Tune on 92
            TSB PDFs are at nhtsa.gov / Click on Recalls, search by make and model (not VIN), and then click on Manufacturer Communications
            Latest vF Version Download

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	2021-07-20_16-44-59.png Views:	0 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	5845

What file were you trying to flash when it failed?

Comment

The flasher failed at 40% with a kdmax tune (known good). E13 error code. I immediately wen to the Gen2 Force Flash, with the error noted above.

Comment

The flasher failed at 40% with a kdmax tune (known good). E13 error code. I immediately wen to the Gen2 Force Flash, with the error noted above.
                  KD tunes are known to brick. "Known good" is not a thing here.

VFTuner or lapoltba may have some other tricks to try before you need to pull the ECU. lapoltba can bench flash it and get it back to you quickly.
                  2017 ACLB Sport 6MT BR - 04B14 Ultimate Test Tune on 92
                  TSB PDFs are at nhtsa.gov / Click on Recalls, search by make and model (not VIN), and then click on Manufacturer Communications
                  Latest vF Version Download

Comment

Recovery should only be done with the stock file, which it looks like you are using. Try turning off the truck, turn it back on (don't start it), *do not click "prepare ECU" *, select stock file, and then force reflash.

If that does not work, clear DTC right before force reflash.

Comment

Originally posted by tonered View Post

KD tunes are known to brick. "Known good" is not a thing here
                      This is not helpful. KD tunes have all been converted to VFC since 1.2.9.9.901 and have been following all of VFTuner Mat’s best practices. All files created, exported, saved in vF should be safe as far as flashing goes. If they are not, it doesn’t seem fair to blame the “tune” for using “save” or “export”. If vft’s are an issue, we have a problem as most stock files are vft’s.

Issues where customers attempt to flash the wrong KDM tune to their ECU is also not a fault of the “tune”. That is user error.
                      Last edited by BortisYeltzen; 07-20-2021, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BortisYeltzen View Post
                        This is not helpful. KD tunes have all been converted to VFC since 1.2.9.9.901 and have been following all of VFTuner Mat’s best practices. All files created, exported, saved in vF should be safe. If they are not, it doesn’t seem fair to blame the “tune” for using “save” or “export”. If vft’s are an issue, we have a problem as most stock files are vft’s.

Issues where customers attempt to flash the wrong KDM tune to their ECU is also not a fault of the “tune”. That is user error.
                        while irrelevant to this individual situation, what Tonered says is true. KDMax files have a much higher chance of bricking, and as of recently we now know why.
                        It was a mystery for all these months why KDMax files were bricking so often.

Well someone, or group of someones, were as you know, exploiting the software to create files without any registration or unlocking, saving bugged files.
                        Therefore special encryption data was missing from the file upon saving on such exploited version and during the flash process has a much higher chance of the byte order being misaligned and bricking.
                        So yea it's actually quite true and the reason is due to cheats.

we are communicating with the owner of this vehicle to see what is the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by VFTuner View Post
                          while irrelevant to this individual situation, what Tonered says is true. KDMax files have a much higher chance of bricking, and as of recently we now know why.
                          It was a mystery for all these months why KDMax files were bricking so often.

Well someone, or group of someones, were as you know, exploiting the software to create files without any registration or unlocking, saving bugged files.
                          Therefore special encryption data was missing from the file upon saving on such exploited version and during the flash process has a much higher chance of the byte order being misaligned and bricking.
                          So yea it's actually quite true and the reason is due to cheats.

we are communicating with the owner of this vehicle to see what is the issue.
                          I didn’t say it wasn’t true, I said it isn’t helpful. KDM tunes saved as vfc or vft in 1.2.9+ should be safe.

How do we know the stock vft’s are safe? Are they missing that encryption? Should we be exporting all stock files to vfc?

Comment

Originally posted by BortisYeltzen View Post
                            I didn’t say it wasn’t true, I said it isn’t helpful. KDM tunes saved as vfc or vft in 1.2.9+ should be safe.

How do we know the stock vft’s are safe? Are they missing that encryption? Should we be exporting all stock files to vfc?
                            The stock VFTs are perfectly safe and not missing anything.

When certain unknown bad actors modified files on that exploited version they stripped the data from the files.

Comment

The error in this case is the ECU rejecting an erase and write command. Still recoverable, may need to be done on a bench.

Comment

Working...
                              X