No announcement yet.

3rd gen Tacoma 3.5L OVTune Twin Turbo Development and Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An update on the status of things are planned for the end of this month.

Ultimate tunes aren't even taking any of the priority. Not only that the tunes aren't even coming with 1.3.0, only the patched files for people to make on their own.

I have refrained from posting much because all it really does is cause un-necessary bickering or confusion.

The huge hurdle was fixing cold start, cold driving. As I said that patch is now complete, and the work is patching it into all of the other ECU versions.

Other stuff like support for other cars, as I have said probably 500 times now? It's not me personally who works on that.

Second thing, currently almost everyone with running kits has customized versions with their own unique issues.

Finally, one major thing halting progress is related to the fuel pump controllers, which I'll post about later.
    but basically pcb and part suppliers have been lying about inventory and component quality. We got an entire batch of 20x completely dead on arrival because they have been using recycled STM32 microchips, etc.
    so we have a new board version being done with brand new chip that can't be recycled old stock desoldered from some old component.

Yeah I get it. It's been a year. Updates are wanted. People think nothing has been being worked on. Couldn't be further from the truth.

but some folks want refunds / to cancel on shipped kits so we are exploring that too.

TDLR:
    Huge issue with PCB /part supply and vendors lying (fuel pump controllers)

​​​​

Cold start patching into new Ecu versions

​​​​​​that's the main bits.

​​​​​​

Comment

Can't edit from phone but wanted to include that this is the reason are doing individual tickets for each person to go over everything.
      because each kit is so unique right now that blanket updates arent really going to do it.

Comment

Things would be moving at a much faster pace if we could RELIABLY get what we need for the FPCs. It's been a freaking headache from hell.

​​​​​for example the PWM and current control needs very specific Panasonic capacitors. Well they instead put "equivalent" capacitors that don't have the same rating and are DOA.

And if you guys think I'm making this up about IC issues, just Google it. Right now there are companies purposely buying all stock parts just to resell at jacked up prices.

And what China doesn't tell you is they will happily sell you a recycled part that's 10 years old off some other PCB to fulfill the order.

But order from the USA instead right?
        Those fast prototype USA companies literally just send your quote to their Chinese counterparts.

The fuel pump controllers have been a miserable freaking headache.

Comment

The intercooler piping hotside is 2.5" correct? For the piping included in the kit.

Comment

Thank you for the posts. I appreciate the update on that. I can definitely say I’ve thought about requesting a refund but have thousands in parts I cannot return now. I do look forward to running this set up.

Comment

Originally posted by VFTuner View Post
              Things would be moving at a much faster pace if we could RELIABLY get what we need for the FPCs. It's been a freaking headache from hell.

​​​​​for example the PWM and current control needs very specific Panasonic capacitors. Well they instead put "equivalent" capacitors that don't have the same rating and are DOA.

And if you guys think I'm making this up about IC issues, just Google it. Right now there are companies purposely buying all stock parts just to resell at jacked up prices.

And what China doesn't tell you is they will happily sell you a recycled part that's 10 years old off some other PCB to fulfill the order.

But order from the USA instead right?
              Those fast prototype USA companies literally just send your quote to their Chinese counterparts.

The fuel pump controllers have been a miserable freaking headache.
              Is it not possible to get remaining kits out minus fuel upgrades, to be shipped at a later time? Also, are there no kits remaining that did not purchase fuel upgrades?

Comment

Originally posted by KnckleChldrn View Post
                Thank you for the posts. I appreciate the update on that. I can definitely say I’ve thought about requesting a refund but have thousands in parts I cannot return now. I do look forward to running this set up.
                We're in the same boat. I still look forward to the day when it's finally complete and I have convinced myself to see this through
                Last edited by BlkdOuT; 06-26-2021, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlkdOuT View Post

Is it not possible to get remaining kits out minus fuel upgrades, to be shipped at a later time? Also, are there no kits remaining that did not purchase fuel upgrades?
                  I’m no fuel upgrades, and still haven’t gotten mine. I wish he let me buy the fuel upgrade for waiting with the rest of the group.

Comment

mZiggy I think those clamps are available in a "narrow" also; which i wonder might hold better, with the clamping load spread over a smaller area? This assumes the smaller clamps do not utilize smaller clamping bolts.

In thinking about suggesting an automotive trim adhesive, (I keep some 3M Trim adhesive handy, for various uses), got me doing a little research for adhering to silicone tube. No good news found. Nothing really adheres to cured silicone. Mechanical bond only.

For mechanical bond it is apparent that clamping while adhesive is uncured, is required; and all previous cured adhesive must be removed, enabling uncured to be intimate with surfaces being bonded. Also appears that roughening the bonding surface will increase bonding area and provide some 'tooth' for adhesive to grab the silicone. Maybe sand the hose with some 80 or 100 grit sandpaper.100 grit could sand the metal too, but be sure to wipe everything with rag wet with starting fluid or lacquer thinner after.

As for adhesive choice, seems uncured RTV silicone is the only item readily available and endorsed. Thinking outside the box, it might be worth trying "Grip Glue" for motorcycle grips. Only guessing these grips are silicone rubber, but grips sure seem like an impossible situation, holding to a chrome bar. If I had any silicone hose on hand i would experiment for us.

Another idea, though might be going further than desired; you could have a sealing band welded near the end of that elbow. Would not take much to tig a nice bead around each end, and provide a lip for the clamp to press against. I think the damage to the finish would be hidden under the hose.

Just throwing it out there, and wishing you success. On the upside, I think I wish i were having your troubles; would mean i had my kit, and was driving it right now 😊
                    Alan, 2020 Access Cab Quicksand 04B81 AT
                    (PinChaser on TacomaWorld)

Comment

Originally posted by TurboChaser View Post
                      mZiggy I think those clamps are available in a "narrow" also; which i wonder might hold better, with the clamping load spread over a smaller area? This assumes the smaller clamps do not utilize smaller clamping bolts.

In thinking about suggesting an automotive trim adhesive, (I keep some 3M Trim adhesive handy, for various uses), got me doing a little research for adhering to silicone tube. No good news found. Nothing really adheres to cured silicone. Mechanical bond only.

For mechanical bond it is apparent that clamping while adhesive is uncured, is required; and all previous cured adhesive must be removed, enabling uncured to be intimate with surfaces being bonded. Also appears that roughening the bonding surface will increase bonding area and provide some 'tooth' for adhesive to grab the silicone. Maybe sand the hose with some 80 or 100 grit sandpaper.100 grit could sand the metal too, but be sure to wipe everything with rag wet with starting fluid or lacquer thinner after.

As for adhesive choice, seems uncured RTV silicone is the only item readily available and endorsed. Thinking outside the box, it might be worth trying "Grip Glue" for motorcycle grips. Only guessing these grips are silicone rubber, but grips sure seem like an impossible situation, holding to a chrome bar. If I had any silicone hose on hand i would experiment for us.

Another idea, though might be going further than desired; you could have a sealing band welded near the end of that elbow. Would not take much to tig a nice bead around each end, and provide a lip for the clamp to press against. I think the damage to the finish would be hidden under the hose.

Just throwing it out there, and wishing you success. On the upside, I think I wish i were having your troubles; would mean i had my kit, and was driving it right now 😊
                      The pipe held with hairspray since February, it's also sort of my fault for not checking up on it, I should've kept an eye on it knowing that those welds are basically a weak point for that specific spot where the pipe makes that turn. I hairsprayed all the other connections and they remain sealed up well. Will inspect them from time to time of course but I don't anticipate anything coming loose elsewhere, except perhaps the couplers at the turbo inlets. Could use a tapered coupler for those at some point probably. 1.75" inlets I think.

On Monday after work, I'm taking the truck to a local guy who will at minimum replace that section with new pipe, smooth, not ridged, to allow the coupler to create a complete firm seal rather than weaker and broken up by the ridges.

He said he prefers to use as few couplers as possible on IC piping, so I expect he'll also offer to weld to the following IC pipe piece (which is fine with me), or even offer to redo the whole setup. Regardless, this is just a small "issue" that comes up even on vehicles with turbos from factory, so I'm not upset or frustrated about it. Happened on my Mazdaspeed 3 from time to time. Couplers come loose, it happens.

Yesterday morning I resealed with hairspray, tightened that bish down and let it set for 24 hours. Just drove it to go get gas, gave it plenty of boost in gears 2-6 and when I got back home, the pipe/coupler hadn't loosened up. So it should be g2g to take to work tomorrow and then to the shop tomorrow.

​​Truck continues to run well, and strong. No codes. Happy honey badger, happy driver. Wish you guys were doing as well as mine, it'd be nice to see more positive talk about the kit.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan, and an excellent attitude. Thanks for tolerating my (unnecessary) suggestions.

Nice that you take the time to share, with those of us who are waiting, and starving for more info.

Looking forward to when I become part of a final R&D.
                        Alan, 2020 Access Cab Quicksand 04B81 AT
                        (PinChaser on TacomaWorld)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	patch files.png
Views:	394
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	4859

patch files are coming

Comment

Thanks for the update Mat. I hear similar comments from other industry sectors as well. Hang in there. As for my kit, I won’t sell or cancel. It will be done when you say it’s done and it’s fine with me.

Comment

Got the truck back, it's running well, holding boost. Bead rolled pipe ends and smooth pipe to prevent further issues.

They also said they could redo the whole piping setup whenever I'd like, to make it both cleaner/prettier and with way less couplers (which are obviously potential failure points).

Might eventually take them up on that. Just would require some tweaks to the tune afterwards I'm sure.

I sure wish there was more info/reviews/etc coming out about the fuel pump/controller upgrade. By this time next year I should have my overlanding trailer (only like 2k lbs fully loaded up I think), but if I want to take it somewhere like the Eastern Sierras, that's 9600ft elevation, I'd want to know if I'm going to likely starve out my stock fuel pump or should upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by mZiggy View Post
                                Got the truck back, it's running well, holding boost. Bead rolled pipe ends and smooth pipe to prevent further issues.

They also said they could redo the whole piping setup whenever I'd like, to make it both cleaner/prettier and with way less couplers (which are obviously potential failure points).

Might eventually take them up on that. Just would require some tweaks to the tune afterwards I'm sure.

I sure wish there was more info/reviews/etc coming out about the fuel pump/controller upgrade. By this time next year I should have my overlanding trailer (only like 2k lbs fully loaded up I think), but if I want to take it somewhere like the Eastern Sierras, that's 9600ft elevation, I'd want to know if I'm going to likely starve out my stock fuel pump or should upgrade.
                                Currently there isn't going to be any other reviews related to the fuel pump controllers right now, if you see the previous post we are having massive supply issues with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X