No announcement yet.

3rd gen Tacoma 3.5L OVTune Twin Turbo Development and Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will those of us with the first set of kits be able to purchase the upgrades that you’ve applied to the kit as it is now? I’ve got weepy oil lines.

Comment

• Pretty sure it's my driver side oil return that has seepage. Not a drip but enough to join forces with the desert that I pick up every day and create an oily dirty film all over the wastegate. Idk what else.

Comment

• yes if you guys can email me what you need I will do my best to get you upgraded

Comment

• So the JLT oil catch can went in just about 1k miles ago.

Just checked it, was sure it'd be decently full or something with the turbos on board. I really expected to see a lot more oil in there.

Confirmed no visibly obvious oil leaking from the line to the can. Nice to know that I can clearly just empty it out at my 5k oil change interval.

Attached Files

Comment

• VFTuner hey Mat. Dropped you an email from my gmail account but it may have been on the closed ticket. I don’t see the other ticket.

Comment

• VFTuner

More question time.

WE know there's the shortage of parts/supplies. Does this include the aftermarket fuel pumps themselves?

You've posted about the updated FPC software for people with the controller+pump upgrade and about how due to parts, we know that at minimum the controllers are not available as an option.

If the pumps are available though, would this possibly be a viable option for people like myself, who aren't trying to run high boost, just wanting to have the security of knowing we can tow in boost without worrying about misfire?

As you know, I just have the base kit, I'm not trying to fuel/support high boost numbers. Hell, I'd even turn my boost controller down further from 9-10 to 7-8 if necessary. I just want the comfort/security of knowing that pretty much no matter where I go, I'll be g2g.

Is this something I should have foreseen when I ordered the kit? Perhaps. But a trailer (even though my trailer will be super small and very lightweight) wasn't in my plans back then and plans change. Such is life.

So to summarize, is a fuel pump upgrade without your accompanying proprietary controller viable? And do you expect that someone in my situation pushing lower boost could successfully see a dependable tune from you with such a setup?

Comment

• Originally posted by mZiggy View Post
                VFTuner

More question time.

WE know there's the shortage of parts/supplies. Does this include the aftermarket fuel pumps themselves?

You've posted about the updated FPC software for people with the controller+pump upgrade and about how due to parts, we know that at minimum the controllers are not available as an option.

If the pumps are available though, would this possibly be a viable option for people like myself, who aren't trying to run high boost, just wanting to have the security of knowing we can tow in boost without worrying about misfire?

As you know, I just have the base kit, I'm not trying to fuel/support high boost numbers. Hell, I'd even turn my boost controller down further from 9-10 to 7-8 if necessary. I just want the comfort/security of knowing that pretty much no matter where I go, I'll be g2g.

Is this something I should have foreseen when I ordered the kit? Perhaps. But a trailer (even though my trailer will be super small and very lightweight) wasn't in my plans back then and plans change. Such is life.

So to summarize, is a fuel pump upgrade without your accompanying proprietary controller viable? And do you expect that someone in my situation pushing lower boost could successfully see a dependable tune from you with such a setup?
                From the stuff posted in the past, the wiring to the DW pump (two wire) is different than Stock (four wire). So, I don't think it is a direct replacement. Even if it was, the same fuel pressure issues in the higher boost regions would exist without the vF FPC.

If you are worried about the condition of your existing pump, the best remedy outside of the vF Kit would be to source a post-recall pump.
                2017 ACLB Sport 6MT BR - 04B14 Ultimate Test Tune on 92
                TSB PDFs are at nhtsa.gov / Click on Recalls, search by make and model (not VIN), and then click on Manufacturer Communications
                Latest vF Version Download

Comment

• Originally posted by mZiggy View Post
                  VFTuner

More question time.

I would recommend just run base kit pressure, 7-8psi if you are having any fuel issues.

Upgrading the fuel pump without the controller isn't possible. you'll quickly kill the stock fuel pump controller.

Originally posted by Seelyartacus View Post
                  VFTuner hey Mat. Dropped you an email from my gmail account but it may have been on the closed ticket. I don’t see the other ticket.
                  email received. Will be posting tune updates as soon as possible.

Comment

• it holds 9psi well, still need to borrow a trailer locally or just test when mine arrives.

Was just trying to be thorough and proactive about it I guess.
                    Last edited by mZiggy; 09-06-2021, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• Elected to take our lord and savior Mat's advice and adjust my boost controller further in my quest to have reliable boost pressure on inclines without *hopefully* overtaxing the fuel system.

So yesterday I went ahead and turned it down by 15 clicks, which amounts to slightly over 2 full turns. While driving, I observed a decrease in boost pressure of roughly 1 psi. Lol

​​​​this morning I turned it down by another 14-15 clicks, at which point I stopped getting the click feel/feedback and encountered just resistance. Obviously I was reaching the end of the knob's available travel. I continued a bit further to the point that I'll estimate at a total of 17-18 "clicks".

I didn't know if it's possible to restrict "too much" or not, but I figured if I hit at least just down to 8psi max, I'll be happy.
                      ​​
                      I just went for a test drive and I actually may be g2g. 91°F ambient temp. Aircon blasting. Consistently maxed out at 6.5-7psi in gears 2-6 (I never try for boost in 1st, not enough rpm range or traction and idk if my clutch would chuck deuces lol). Only once did I overboost, when in 3rd at like 4k rpm and floored it, spiked to 9 but quickly tapered down. When it starts getting colder I may see some slightly higher boost pressures so I'll leave it there, I'm happy.

Also, it felt like it pulled significantly stronger. I can only assume that by targeting a boost pressure above the fuel wall for the stock fuel system, that it was struggling to keep up and I was likely losing high rpm power. In the ~3700-4k rpm range I'd have a drop in power, like it wouldn't quite stumble but it would definitely drop off quickly before catching itself and resuming. Not anymore. Felt very strong through the whole rpm band, took it up to 4500 several times and it just feels stronger and smoother overall throughout the tach.

Perfect example of how targeting your max possible boost pressure may not always yield the best results.

Will continue to monitor long term.

Comment

• Any more kits coming out?

Comment

• Seems he is working on Tune updates. I don't think we know who 6588 is yet either? (the next in line).
                          Alan, 2020 Access Cab Quicksand 04B81 AT
                          (PinChaser on TacomaWorld)

Comment

• Originally posted by TurboChaser View Post
                            Seems he is working on Tune updates. I don't think we know who 6588 is yet either? (the next in line).
                            That's me.

Comment

• TurboChaser
                              TurboChaser commented
                              Editing a comment
                              congratulations on being next!!

• Originally posted by BlkdOuT View Post

That's me.
                            Any update on when you should be expecting it?

Comment

• VFTuner

Sent in a number of emails over the past several weeks with some specific questions regarding my current tune, primarily wanting to know if my current tune has the throttle limited above 5k rpm like you'd discussed with me before.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Working...
                              X