VF TUNER 1.2.9.9.7 Released

- Multiple new 3UR-FBE and 3UR-FE ECUs Supported
- Sequoia/LX/LC 3UR Support
- 2019 0CP70 0CP80 Tundra Full support
- Generation 2 Phase 5 ECU TCU Read And Flash Now Supported
- Generation 2 Phase 5 TCU Read and Upload Functionality
- Generation 2 Phase 5 TCU Brick Recovery Functionality
- Generation 2 Phase 5 ECU Brick Recovery Functionality - Update
- Resources folder (inside installation folder) includes Tuning PDFs - will be continually updated
- Tacoma 4.0L Manual Transmission 2009+ Support Updated
See more
See less

Clarification Question on ECU Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification Question on ECU Codes

I am new to this, so I apologize for this clarification. I've read my ECU and identified my 2021 Tacoma as 89663-04C20. Looking in the stock files, the only one available for the 2021 Tacoma is 89663-04C30 STOCK. My understanding is that I cannot put the 04C30 (or a variant like 04C31, 04C3x) tune onto my ECU and would need to use 04C20 (or 04C21, 04C2x - whatever they may come out with) tunes. Basically the next to last digit is important, but the last digit is just updates.

Is that correct? I'd like to confirm before I purchase the OVTune.

Side note for the VF Tuner Installation Guide pdf.... On page 21 it mentions that "If you get an error, this usually means the ECU is NOT possible to read the stock data and you must use the provided stock data." I found that a USB 3.0 port on the PC may cause interruption of the communication to the Tractix adapter under Windows 10 during the read ECU step which will also give a read error. Mine kept failing about 2/3rds of the way in but switching to a 2.0 port allowed me to complete the read without issue.

Originally posted by n3cr0shark View Post
    I am new to this, so I apologize for this clarification. I've read my ECU and identified my 2021 Tacoma as 89663-04C20. Looking in the stock files, the only one available for the 2021 Tacoma is 89663-04C30 STOCK. My understanding is that I cannot put the 04C30 (or a variant like 04C31, 04C3x) tune onto my ECU and would need to use 04C20 (or 04C21, 04C2x - whatever they may come out with) tunes. Basically the next to last digit is important, but the last digit is just updates.

Is that correct? I'd like to confirm before I purchase the OVTune.

Side note for the VF Tuner Installation Guide pdf.... On page 21 it mentions that "If you get an error, this usually means the ECU is NOT possible to read the stock data and you must use the provided stock data." I found that a USB 3.0 port on the PC may cause interruption of the communication to the Tractix adapter under Windows 10 during the read ECU step which will also give a read error. Mine kept failing about 2/3rds of the way in but switching to a 2.0 port allowed me to complete the read without issue.
    Yes. You are correct. Your tunes will always be 04C2x.

Do not Read your ECU. There is no helpful information there.

Some USB 3.0 ports work just fine. It has all that I have been using on two different computers. If you have issues though, stick with USB 2.0 or a USB 2.0 Hub to downgrade a 3.0 port.
    2017 ACLB Sport 6MT BR - Edited Version 8 of 04B14 SFOB Prem OL on 92
    TSB PDFs are at nhtsa.gov / Click on Recalls, search by make and model (not VIN), and then click on Manufacturer Communications
    Latest vF Version Download

Comment

Thank you for clarifying! I'll get the order for the tune over shortly.

As for reading, I was only following the steps in the guide. Page 20 tells you to read it to get the ECU code. I did save it if you want a copy of 04C20. Other than the USB issue, no problems with the install on a Windows 10 based laptop (outside of having a Wifi issue momentarily). I also used Techstream 16.00.017 since it's a 2021 and was able to program another keyfob without issue.

Comment

As for reading, I was only following the steps in the guide. Page 20 tells you to read it to get the ECU code. I did save it if you want a copy of 04C20. Other than the USB issue, no problems with the install on a Windows 10 based laptop (outside of having a Wifi issue momentarily). I also used Techstream 16.00.017 since it's a 2021 and was able to program another keyfob without issue.
        Hmmm. I need to look into this further.

Haha! I'm good. I have the 2021 tunes.
        TSB PDFs are at nhtsa.gov / Click on Recalls, search by make and model (not VIN), and then click on Manufacturer Communications

Comment

I found that in the Instructions. It looks like it is supposed to be similar to the Identify function on the old Flash Tool, but it is weird that you are getting an output file. I'm not sure if that is intentional? VFTuner ?
          I know that at least one person bricked their ECU by trying to flash up that Read file.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-07 080155.png
Views:	95
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	2479
          Attached Files

Comment

If that's the case, I will probably delete that saved read ECU copy I have. Would anyone with VFTune be able to shoot me the 04C20 base so I have a copy if I need to go back to stock or want to tinker? Only the 30 base is included in the VFTune installation pack for the 2021.

I did receive my Ovtune pack this morning and flashed it at lunch. Understand you are supposed to clear DTC, clear TCU, then Reset ECU once loaded (was following your post here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...#post-25474599). Everything went fine except it errors out and loses connection during the ECU reset. Had to reboot the PC. Tried it a second time and same result. (I'm on the 1.2.9.9.5 version). Same thing as what was posted in that thread. Taco seems to run fine afterwards though and the shifting is adjusting quickly / settling down. Just thought I'd mention it.
            Last edited by n3cr0shark; 04-08-2021, 03:56 AM.

Comment

If that's the case, I will probably delete that saved read ECU copy I have. Would anyone with VFTune be able to shoot me the 04C20 base so I have a copy if I need to go back? Only the 30 base is included in the VFTune installation pack for the 2021.

I did receive my Ovtune pack this morning and flashed it at lunch. Understand you are supposed to clear DTC, clear TCU, then Reset ECU once loaded (was following your post here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...#post-25474599). Everything went fine except it errors out and loses connection during the ECU reset. Had to reboot the PC. Tried it a second time and same result. (I'm on the 1.2.9.9.5 version). Same thing as what was posted in that thread. Taco seems to run fine afterwards though and the shifting is adjusting quickly / settling down. Just thought I'd mention it.

Base or Stock? Stock is misfiled in the 2020 folder.

I had the same issues with the Resets when I tried them yesterday. I used the old Flash Tool to do the deed.

Comment

Stock. Didn't bother to look in the other folders. D'oh. I see it. Thanks!!!

Is it imperative that you Reset the ECU? I don't have the old flash tool file. I do have a functional techstream but being very cautious there.

Comment

Stock. Didn't bother to look in the other folders. D'oh. I see it. Thanks!!!

Is it imperative that you Reset the ECU? I don't have the old flash tool file. I do have a functional techstream but being very cautious there.

No worries. Just a mistake there.

It did good things for me. TS is solid. It is just the TSB flashing that requires care. See the Resets spoiler in the 1st Post of the ECU Update thread on TacomaWorld.

Comment

Found it. Thanks again.

Comment

Found it. Thanks again.
                      You're welcome!

Comment

Hi fellow Taco lovers,
                        I bought the software and the Tacoma 3.5 pack with it. Still struggling to install it. I wonder if someone can help with a couple of things:
                        1. Why do the install count expire? what does install mean? I have it on only one machine and havent even used the software yet as i am getting errors. Can someone explain what the install count actually is?
                        2. Is there anything special you have to do with user rights on windows so that the directories have proper access. I am right clicking "run as administrator"
                        3. Lastly, I have read the ecu and saved the file. Is this the file i go back to if I have to go to my current configuration. I know there are stock tune files in the folder. But still would the file i saved on my first read can be considered "stock" (i have a new truck)
                        thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated. At this point it has been a month almost and I still dont have it on my truck Man the cobb tuning on my STI was so much easier in retrospect. haha.
                        Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by TacoEnvy View Post
                          Hi fellow Taco lovers,
                          I bought the software and the Tacoma 3.5 pack with it. Still struggling to install it. I wonder if someone can help with a couple of things:
                          1. Why do the install count expire? what does install mean? I have it on only one machine and havent even used the software yet as i am getting errors. Can someone explain what the install count actually is?
                          2. Is there anything special you have to do with user rights on windows so that the directories have proper access. I am right clicking "run as administrator"
                          3. Lastly, I have read the ecu and saved the file. Is this the file i go back to if I have to go to my current configuration. I know there are stock tune files in the folder. But still would the file i saved on my first read can be considered "stock" (i have a new truck)
                          thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated. At this point it has been a month almost and I still dont have it on my truck Man the cobb tuning on my STI was so much easier in retrospect. haha.
                          Cheers!
                          Please do not cross post. It is problematic for everyone. I replied to your other post.

Comment

Originally posted by tonered View Post

Please do not cross post. It is problematic for everyone. I replied to your other post.
                            Sorry. My bad I saw the Taco specific thread later. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TacoEnvy View Post

Sorry. My bad I saw the Taco specific thread later. Thanks!
                              No problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X