Idle Adjustment need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Adjustment need help

So i've played around in VFtuner with every IDLE control map and flashed about 5-6 times attempting to raise my settled idle speed in Drive. No map adjustment has changed my "settled" idle speed at all. To better understand what i mean by "settled" idle speed, when you initially start the vehicle it idles fairly high. in Park or in drive. after some time, 15-20 seconds or so, the idle calms down and settles to what seems to be the normal idle during driving. In Drive with my foot on the brake and truck not moving, my idle is at about 560RPM and i'd like to raise that up to about 650 to see if it solves my issue.

My truck is currently tuned with 04b33 2.0F 5.29 91octane 33" non THX tune. I've adjusted my alternator settings to improve charging for my battery and get a consistent 14.4~14.5v of charge. at idle in drive with low loads i get this voltage charge as well. as soon as I turn on loads ie, ac/heater, Headlights, fog light, seat warmers etc. my voltage drops into the low 13v and sometimes below 13v triggering a check charging system warning on the dash. Remove the loads and it goes back up to 14.5v. I would like to try and raise the idle a bit and see if this remedy's the issue.

I've posted in tacomaworld as well, and others have provided some positive insight to try and remedy the issue. Mostly double checking my alternator map modifications in vftuner, and playing with idle maps. My next steps are to flash back to stop and monitor my idle RPM's and try and replicate the issue.

My current alternator maps are adjusted as follows, i've also tried increasing the alternator constant phase duty miniumum (duty) from stock of 67.8437 up to 87.8437 which made no change.

91.8437 91.8437 91.5234 94 94 94 94 94 94

base phase initial additive, (start phase increast duty) 0
    alternator constant disable control (alternator duty %) 3.57812
    alternator constant phase duty 1 (alternator duty %) 14.0312
    alternator constant phase duty 2 (alternator duty %) 102.296
    alternator constant phase duty 3 (alternator duty %) 82.0625
    alternator constant phase duty 4 (alternator duty %) 84
    alternator constant phase duty 5 (alternator duty %) 84
    alternator constant phase duty 9 (alternator duty %) 84
    alternator constant phase duty base voltage (alternator duty %) 102.296
    alternator constant phase duty for maximum voltage 14.7 (alternator duty %) 102.398
    alternator constant phase duty miniumum (duty) 67.8437
    alternator constant phase duty maximum for voltage 14.7 (duty) 102.398

Video of the issue.
    https://youtu.be/T6Bz3OMhE0g

Originally posted by blitzkrieg3002 View Post
    So i've played around in VFtuner with every IDLE control map and flashed about 5-6 times attempting to raise my settled idle speed in Drive. No map adjustment has changed my "settled" idle speed at all. To better understand what i mean by "settled" idle speed, when you initially start the vehicle it idles fairly high. in Park or in drive. after some time, 15-20 seconds or so, the idle calms down and settles to what seems to be the normal idle during driving. In Drive with my foot on the brake and truck not moving, my idle is at about 560RPM and i'd like to raise that up to about 650 to see if it solves my issue.

My truck is currently tuned with 04b33 2.0F 5.29 91octane 33" non THX tune. I've adjusted my alternator settings to improve charging for my battery and get a consistent 14.4~14.5v of charge. at idle in drive with low loads i get this voltage charge as well. as soon as I turn on loads ie, ac/heater, Headlights, fog light, seat warmers etc. my voltage drops into the low 13v and sometimes below 13v triggering a check charging system warning on the dash. Remove the loads and it goes back up to 14.5v. I would like to try and raise the idle a bit and see if this remedy's the issue.

I've posted in tacomaworld as well, and others have provided some positive insight to try and remedy the issue. Mostly double checking my alternator map modifications in vftuner, and playing with idle maps. My next steps are to flash back to stop and monitor my idle RPM's and try and replicate the issue.

My current alternator maps are adjusted as follows, i've also tried increasing the alternator constant phase duty miniumum (duty) from stock of 67.8437 up to 87.8437 which made no change.

91.8437 91.8437 91.5234 94 94 94 94 94 94

base phase initial additive, (start phase increast duty) 0
    alternator constant disable control (alternator duty %) 3.57812
    alternator constant phase duty 1 (alternator duty %) 14.0312
    alternator constant phase duty 2 (alternator duty %) 102.296
    alternator constant phase duty 3 (alternator duty %) 82.0625
    alternator constant phase duty 4 (alternator duty %) 84
    alternator constant phase duty 5 (alternator duty %) 84
    alternator constant phase duty 9 (alternator duty %) 84
    alternator constant phase duty base voltage (alternator duty %) 102.296
    alternator constant phase duty for maximum voltage 14.7 (alternator duty %) 102.398
    alternator constant phase duty miniumum (duty) 67.8437
    alternator constant phase duty maximum for voltage 14.7 (duty) 102.398

Video of the issue.
    https://youtu.be/T6Bz3OMhE0g

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your idle volts. Typically at idle, most all vehicles, even with MOSFET regulators, will discharge. The volts will always be above the minimum ECU and spark-required voltages, typically around 10v. The alternator is putting out all that it can chooch at idle, esp if the battery voltage is lower than the alternator output voltage. Just a plain fact of automotive charging systems.

This is why you only have so many tries to start a vehicle. Starters are the largest discharge load, esp for a cold start.

They will get normal charging voltages at some RPM above idle. For a 4wheeled vehicle, say about 1,000rpm. Bikes will be higher, but their idle RPMs are typically higher also.

On the RPM issue itself, I have attempted to lower the Cold Start maps to 900rpm and now 800rpm, as I do not warm up, rather drive off gently within a few seconds of start up. The RPMs while stopped don't go lower than about 1,050 or so. When rolling they don't pull hard, which is what I like.

I have never tried raising the revs. Just noting my experience on trying to lower them.

Warmed up, mine sits a couple revs over 600rpm. I like that. The idle volts on the stock lead acid battery is around 13.6v which is a marginal charge for a 13.3v max possible voltage.
    2017 ACLB Sport 6MT BR - 04B14 Ultimate Test Tune on 92
    TSB PDFs are at nhtsa.gov / Click on Recalls, search by make and model (not VIN), and then click on Manufacturer Communications
    Latest vF Version Download

Comment

That makes sense Tonered, and thanks for the reply. Makes me feel better. I guess getting the big flashing red warning to check charging system got me worried since i had recently played around with my alternator maps. other than that and at idle it seems my system is working as intended. I still think it would be nice to raise my idle up just a tad to help if possible, being consistent at 560 rpms. but it may not be possible with vftuner.

Comment

That makes sense Tonered, and thanks for the reply. Makes me feel better. I guess getting the big flashing red warning to check charging system got me worried since i had recently played around with my alternator maps. other than that and at idle it seems my system is working as intended. I still think it would be nice to raise my idle up just a tad to help if possible, being consistent at 560 rpms. but it may not be possible with vftuner.
        You're welcome!

The charge warning light should not be coming on with your engine running. You should only get that while discharging when the engine is off. 560 is a touch low. I believe it is noted that the ATs should idle at something like 700rpm in Drive once warmed up. This is partly to account for the Unlocked TC drag when stopped.

The software not raising the revs when edited would mainly be a question for VFTuner . Some map access might also be missing. I just wouldn't expect anything above about 13.3v or so at idle. Your noted low 13s and below might be the reason for that warning.
        TSB PDFs are at nhtsa.gov / Click on Recalls, search by make and model (not VIN), and then click on Manufacturer Communications

Comment

it does come on every time i'm at idle with my climate control, (heater/ac fan running) and headlights and seat warmers on. voltage drops below 13.0v and thats the threshold for the warning light right when it drops to 12.9 or below. you can see it in my video i linked above as well. Idle speeds are consistent even warmed up at around 560rpm. If i turn climate control and headlights off voltage increases and warning goes away. I've seen it even flash the warning at stop signs, or red lights most commonly during normal driving.
          Last edited by blitzkrieg3002; 03-29-2021, 07:36 PM.

Comment

it does come on every time i'm at idle with my climate control, (heater/ac fan running) and headlights and seat warmers on. voltage drops below 13.0v and thats the threshold for the warning light right when it drops to 12.9 or below. you can see it in my video i linked above as well. Idle speeds are consistent even warmed up at around 560rpm. If i turn climate control and headlights off voltage increases and warning goes away.
            Sorry about missing the point of your original post. Folks have asked why not 14.5v or so at idle a few times in the past.

I would still stick with the guess that there are more maps that we do not have yet and am sure Mat will be along to give you a better answer.

Comment

VFTuner Was this ever figured out? The idle control tables do not raise RPM. What are the steps to take if one wants to raise idle RPM?

Comment

Originally posted by ForceOfG View Post
                VFTuner Was this ever figured out? The idle control tables do not raise RPM. What are the steps to take if one wants to raise idle RPM?
                Bump. Would like to see about getting this fixed as well.

Comment

if you are having a specific issue with a table, or a table is not working please relay this to the support email so we can see it. Linking me here I won't always see it

Comment

Working...
                  X