X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAQ Thread

Hey, Folks.

I will try to keep this 1st Post Updated with Frequently Asked Questions.

-- vF Tuner Download Link: The current version of the vF Tuner software is at the top of the vFTuner.com homepage. Alternately, you can get to the same download link in
    tonered
    Administrator
    tonered 's post signature.

-- vF Tuner Installation and Flash Instructions: The vF installation instructions may be found at vFTuner.com in the Resources menu or in this installation folder:
    c:\Program Files (x86)\vF Tuner\vF Tuner Instructions.pdf
    Note 1: The Read ECU step on Page 20 is incorrect. Do as the figure shows and click Prepare ECU.
    Note 2: The Flashing steps on Pages 24 and 25 skip the Prepare ECU step. That needs to be done first.

-- Tuning Guides: All vF Tuning Guides can be found in the vF program installation folder at:
    c:\Program Files (x86)\vF Tuner\

-- Stock Tune Files: All Supported ECU IDs and Stock tune files are in the vF program installation folder at:
    c:\Program Files (x86)\vF Tuner\

-- Fastest help: Reply to your Order Confirmation or Zendesk Ticket messages.
    This keeps your place in line and does not clog up the support system. Creating new Zendesk Support messages just for updates puts your request at the back of the queue.

-- Posting Forum Help Requests: It is not possible to link a forum username to a vF License. Please include your Order Number, Zendesk Ticket Number, and / or the email address that you used to order vF in any forum post where you are asking for issue help.
    All of your Order History can be found by creating an account with the email address that you used to order on the vFTuner.com homepage or use this link:

-- Screenshot Help: Please DO NOT post photos of your computer screens. You have a number of options:

The Print Screen button has been on keyboards for decades. Hitting it takes a screenshot of your entire screen that you can paste in a program. Sorry though, this forum software does not allow pasting of screenshots. They have to be saved as a file first.

Hitting Shift + WIN Key + S will open a Windows Snip & Sketch program to make easy screenshot files.

-- Credits Missing: If you received less than nine Credits with a new vF License purchase, reply to your Order Confirmation message and note the issue.
    Note that the Flash Manager Replacement (FMR) License for flashing only does not allow the purchase of additional Credits. You must upgrade to the full vF License to flash additional VINs or view / edit tune files.

-- Credit Usage: The nine Credits can be used to:
    Unlock two VINs for flashing
    Unlock one VIN and view and / or edit one ECU ID
    View and / or Edit two ECU IDs
    Note that the act of flashing requires no Credit usage.
    To Unlock more VINs or ECU IDs, you need to purchase more Credits.
    One Credit always remains to permit your vF License.

-- Octane Learning: All vF Tuner 2.0 Tunes are OL. Old
    VFTuner
    Administrator
    VFTuner quote from TacomaWorld:
    "The files are setup for:

"Regular" is for octanes 85 to 89.

"Premium" for octanes 90 to 94.

If you use 87 on the Premium tune it has to learn backwards, and your performance also goes backwards."

-- Learned Value Resets. Another old
    VFTuner
    Administrator
    VFTuner quote from TW with slight edits:
    "Regarding AT / LV Resets:

Resetting LV / AT after a flash = Not required
    Resetting LV / AT after a flash = Is not harmful, and may be done at your discretion
    Resetting LV / AT after a flash = Should be done IF you have drivability issues (very odd shifting behavior, very odd engine behavior, or you hear any knock / detonation)
    Resetting LV / AT after a flash = May make the truck run noticeably rougher for the first few miles (especially the transmission)
    Resetting LV / AT should NOT be done just because you feel like doing it.
    Resetting the LV / AT should NOT be done if you have not recently flashed.

If you Reset LV / AT right after a flash = The first 25mi to 50mi, the trucks shifting characteristics can be ignored.

If you Reset LV / AT or even flashed the truck and are making judgements without putting AT LEAST 25mi on the truck, you are not getting an accurate representation of how the truck will perform."

Thanks!
    2017 ACLB Sport 6MT BR - 04B14 Ultimate Test Tune on 92
    TSB PDFs are at nhtsa.gov / Click on Recalls, search by make and model (not VIN), and then click on Manufacturer Communications
    Latest vF Version Download

ktbell444
    ktbell444 . Sorry this took so long to get going! Thanks for the suggestion.

shellshock
    shellshock . If you could post up your vF Tuner Guide thread (Posts 1 and 2), I can add the FAQ aspects to the 1st Post here.

Thanks!
    TSB PDFs are at nhtsa.gov / Click on Recalls, search by make and model (not VIN), and then click on Manufacturer Communications

Comment

Will do. Need to make a couple updates.

Comment

Originally posted by shellshock View Post
        Will do. Need to make a couple updates.
        Awesome!

Thanks!

Comment

??? okay I am way lost. I dld the $79 upgrade way back when when .p5f went away and we began .vft tunes and flash. Have not updated FM or any other VFTuner software since. Recently added the Maggy FI - which used the same FM and original .vft tune. At that time the FM did not require registration of the VIN. Now I see there is an update coming to the entire system - tunes and FM the entire loaf of bread. I obviously can't use the tunes any longer being FI, but I don't want lose the ability to use the FM for future Maggy updates (they are developed with VFTuner SW). Since I am not flashing or re-flashiing the Maggy Tune do I need to use the soon to be FM update immediately upon down load to register my VIN and successfully complete the update requirements Mat has and is directing we all need to do? Yes I am the odd Duck out here but had I not known about the upgrade via TW Forum, or this forum, I doubt Magnuson would have notified any one - they have not yet. ?? and exactly how many credits should I have - 1, 5 or 9 ?
          GoldenBrew
          Last edited by GoldenBrew; 05-14-2021, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenBrew View Post
            ??? okay I am way lost. I dld the $79 upgrade way back when when .p5f went away and we began .vft tunes and flash. Have not updated FM or any other VFTuner software since. Recently added the Maggy FI - which used the same FM and original .vft tune. At that time the FM did not require registration of the VIN. Now I see there is an update coming to the entire system - tunes and FM the entire loaf of bread. I obviously can't use the tunes any longer being FI, but I don't want lose the ability to use the FM for future Maggy updates (they are developed with VFTuner SW). Since I am not flashing or re-flashiing the Maggy Tune do I need to use the soon to be FM update immediately upon down load to register my VIN and successfully complete the update requirements Mat has and is directing we all need to do? Yes I am the odd Duck out here but had I not known about the upgrade via TW Forum, or this forum, I doubt Magnuson would have notified any one - they have not yet. ?? and exactly how many credits should I have - 1, 5 or 9 ?
            As long as Magnuson is giving you VFT or VFC files, you will be in good shape.

You should have gotten nine Credits total with your vF License. If you didn't, reply to the Order Confirmation message or create a Zendesk ticket for the issue.

The new Flash Tool works similar to the old one. You just need to be on wifi for the Prepare ECU step. The new Version 1.3.0 shouldn't change much on the flashing side. Just deliver the 2.0 AT Final options, some new map fun, and automatic Credit delivery.

Lemme know if you have any other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by tonered View Post

As long as Magnuson is giving your VFT or VFC files, you will be in good shape.

You should have gotten nine Credits total with your vF License. If you didn't, reply to the Order Confirmation message or create a Zendesk ticket for the issue.

The new Flash Tool works similar to the old one. You just need to be on wifi for the Prepare ECU step. The new Version 1.3.0 shouldn't change much on the flashing side. Just deliver the 2.0 AT Final options, some new map fun, and automatic Credit delivery.

Lemme know if you have any other questions.
              So the "prepare ECU" is where I plug my OBD connector/Computer to the truck (engine off and power on) and it will read the vin for registration? My Master Key should be the same and the SW will read it automatically as part of the process - then I should be able to see how many credits I have? Guess I better look for the new VFTuner installation process.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenBrew View Post

So the "prepare ECU" is where I plug my OBD connector/Computer to the truck (engine off and power on) and it will read the vin for registration? My Master Key should be the same and the SW will read it automatically as part of the process - then I should be able to see how many credits I have? Guess I better look for the new VFTuner installation process.
                You want to be plugged in with the Ignition On before hitting Prepare ECU. From there, it will check the vF Server for your VIN.

The Master Key is different than your REG File. With this Version 1.3.0 update, the Master Key will not change.

Yes. You can always look in Help / License Information to see how many Credits you have. That function pings back to the vF Server also.

Comment

Originally posted by tonered View Post

You want to be plugged in with the Ignition On before hitting Prepare ECU. From there, it will check the vF Server for your VIN.

The Master Key is different than your REG File. With this Version 1.3.0 update, the Master Key will not change.

Yes. You can always look in Help / License Information to see how many Credits you have. That function pings back to the vF Server also.
                  I had the Reg file from the original .p5F software - and Master Key from conversion to .vft (via $79 upgrade). Presume the conversion is a write-over and will find and identify the Master Key to continue with the *must* update software release - .vft to .vfc tunes and new FM 1.3.0 or 1.2.9.9 ?
                  GoldenBrew
                  Last edited by GoldenBrew; 05-15-2021, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Yes. Just download and install. The REG file is not needed for the new Flash Tool to work.

Comment

Hey, Folks.

I made some updates to the 1st Post.

Comment

Added info on how to take screenshots. Please help us out and do not post photos of your computer screens.

Thanks!

Comment

• tonered
                          tonered
                          Administrator
                          tonered commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hahahaha!

I'm no guru by any stretch. Just functional enough to keep my life easy as possible in this complex world.

• Wynnded
                          Wynnded commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I understand. I'm inching toward that stage where I only learn something new if I must.

• tonered
                          tonered
                          Administrator
                          tonered commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That is my sweet spot. Hahahaha!

Don't know if I should ask this here or in the TSB thread..

I read that the upcoming Ultimate version will require the latest version of ECU, so If I update my ECU with the latest TSB (04B90 to 04B91), I understand that I will have to buy more credits to unlock/modify the tune but what happens to my tunepack?

Comment

Originally posted by ObiFredKenobi View Post
                          Don't know if I should ask this here or in the TSB thread..

I read that the upcoming Ultimate version will require the latest version of ECU, so If I update my ECU with the latest TSB (04B90 to 04B91), I understand that I will have to buy more credits to unlock/modify the tune but what happens to my tunepack?
                          If you contact
                          VFTuner
                          Administrator
                          VFTuner , he will update your TP to the new ECU ID.

Comment

Has anyone ran into the issue were you try to open VF tuner and it says it cant be run in a virtual environment. \

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X