Announcement

Collapse

VF TUNER 1.2.9.9.8 Released

- Fix Flash issue - 992kb files support msg (Flasher)
- Update Flasher - Clear screen on exit
- Multiple new 3UR-FBE and 3UR-FE ECUs Supported
- Sequoia/LX/LC 3UR Support
- 2019 0CP70 0CP80 Tundra Full support
- Generation 2 Phase 5 ECU TCU Read And Flash Now Supported
- Generation 2 Phase 5 TCU Read and Upload Functionality
- Generation 2 Phase 5 TCU Brick Recovery Functionality
- Generation 2 Phase 5 ECU Brick Recovery Functionality - Update
- Resources folder (inside installation folder) includes Tuning PDFs - will be continually updated
- Tacoma 4.0L Manual Transmission 2009+ Support Updated
- Other useful changes
See more
See less

Unlocking another VIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlocking another VIN

Loving the VF tuner. Since I came from OV tune, I have the OV tune pack. I would like to clarify how to tune a friends truck with a different ECU. I know I need to unlock the vin# for 4 credits. What else would I need to do? I think we could buy a tune from someone. If we go that route, can we flash it back to stock with just the vin unlocked? Any info on costs/options would be a great help. Thanks

Originally posted by Sunsetsearider View Post
    Loving the VF tuner. Since I came from OV tune, I have the OV tune pack. I would like to clarify how to tune a friends truck with a different ECU. I know I need to unlock the vin# for 4 credits. What else would I need to do? I think we could buy a tune from someone. If we go that route, can we flash it back to stock with just the vin unlocked? Any info on costs/options would be a great help. Thanks
    Hello.

To flash others, you do not need to Unlock ECU IDs unless you want to view or edit tunes. You just need four Credits per VIN to flash and tune files that match the ECU IDs.

Once a VIN is Unlocked, it can be flashed as many times as you like without the need for anyone to spend more Credits. So, you can flash back to Stock at will. The Stock Tune Files are always in the vF installation folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\vF Tuner

If you need anything, please let me know.
    2017 ACLB Sport 6MT BR - Edited Version 8 of 04B14 SFOB Prem OL on 92
    TSB PDFs are at nhtsa.gov / Click on Recalls, search by make and model (not VIN), and then click on Manufacturer Communications
    Latest vF Version Download

Comment

• Hlmatson
      Hlmatson commented
      Editing a comment
      I too just got the vF tune software and dongle. I also bought the 3.5 Tacoma tune pack.
      I just put the premium 33 thx tune on and love it. Now a couple of co-workers and friends want me to do theirs too. I understand that with four credits I can unlock another vin and flash it from the stock tunes that come in the vF software, but what's the point?
      What do those stock tunes do? They are just stock right? Do they change shift points?
      My friends want the tune that I did that came in the $390 Tune pack, but if I understand correctly they would have to buy the pack themselves and still have to pay for the 4 credits. Correct?
      How do some of the local guys do tunes for $250? Did they buy one of those huge $6000 packs so they can do tuning for anyone anytime?

• tonered
      tonered commented
      Editing a comment
      You got it. You need tune files that match the ECU ID and Credits for the VIN.

Yes. That is how we do it, flashing others. With only five ECU IDs for the AT Tacos, the return on investment is fast.

One thing to note, if your friends truck has a different ecu id you will need the tune pack for it.

Comment

Thanks. I think he will get one of the other tunes available since I don’t think he has as much interest in being able to change things and I’m pretty sure one tune costs less than a pack.

Comment

Working...
      X