Load scaling questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Load scaling questions

More questions on how the Lexus 2.0 maps work. Engine load is scaled from 20 to 105 on both AFR port and direct injection maps:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	3858

Airload values in the Request to Airload table, on the other hand, top out at almost 400:

Name:	Photo 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	3859

Airload values in the Engine Mapped Expectation Airload get to almost 700:

Name:	Photo 3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	559.9 KB
ID:	3860

Adding this here for another question. Note lambda 1, both commanded and actual, even under peak boost:

Name:	Photo 5.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	754.0 KB
ID:	3861

I hope someone can chime in on the following:

1. How do the different airload tables work (Engine mapped expectation airload, ignition efficiency, throttle efficiency)?

2. How do the engine load and airload scales interact with each other? What does the logged absolute load pertain to among the many scales?

3. In the absence of MAP or boost logging, can absolute load be a rough substitute for boost?

4. Is it safe to just shift the AFR table up/left to get the engine off lambda 1 earlier, or is this a closed loop to open loop delay thing? (No delay table/field available in VFTuner.)

5. How do all 5 Boost Target maps work? Info button on each one only yields "Help text".

6. After his remote tune, Mathew noted "
    This is very good. With a full exhaust on your car I think we might even see 60-70+ whp up top.. <from the 50+ we gained>" Now that I have a catted downpipe and the NX is very apparently spooling faster, what logs should I do and maps should I modify to take advantage?

Sorry if I keep posting threads on different topics. I just hope to learn as much as I can (and keep AFRs in check now that my turbo spools a lot faster). Thanks

Hello Chez,

we are actually working on a bunch of updates for the 8AR right now, including new tables and a full tuning guide PDF. We hope to have it finished up soon for everyone. It will answer a lot of these questions

Comment

Originally posted by VFTuner View Post
      Hello Chez,

we are actually working on a bunch of updates for the 8AR right now, including new tables and a full tuning guide PDF. We hope to have it finished up soon for everyone. It will answer a lot of these questions
      Hi Mathew. Thanks for replying and I hope all is well.

This is great news. Once updated, would the new tables show up even when I open old tune files? Or would I have to port tables to a new base file altogether?

Comment

Originally posted by ChezGKY View Post

Hi Mathew. Thanks for replying and I hope all is well.

This is great news. Once updated, would the new tables show up even when I open old tune files? Or would I have to port tables to a new base file altogether?
        Yes. Most map updates happen in the new vF versions. You'll see the map list grow.

Only major changes would get released as Tune Pack updates.
        2017 ACLB Sport 6MT BR - 04B14 Ultimate Test Tune on 92
        TSB PDFs are at nhtsa.gov / Click on Recalls, search by make and model (not VIN), and then click on Manufacturer Communications
        Latest vF Version Download

Comment

Originally posted by tonered View Post

Yes. Most map updates happen in the new vF versions. You'll see the map list grow.

Only major changes would get released as Tune Pack updates.
          Thanks for replying! That's great news and will save a lot of time and eliminate potential errors.

In the meantime, I've shifted my AFR maps up/left/richer for some safety. EDIT: Nope, didn't do a thing. Commanded lambda values under load until 4200ish rpm were still 1. Must be an OL/CL thing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 6.jpg Views:	3 Size:	684.0 KB ID:	3905

Here's how Beta compares with the existing Tune:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 7.jpg Views:	3 Size:	293.8 KB ID:	3906

By the way, does anyone have issues with SDL/TMatrix.Resize errors? I think the table dimensions are too large, thus requiring a paid version of SDL Suite. For the NX 78132, this has happened when trying to open AFR Transient Target Mode 1 and Optimal Transmission Torque For Shifting 15:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 8.jpg Views:	3 Size:	281.3 KB ID:	3907

Cheers
          Last edited by ChezGKY; 05-30-2021, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Thanks for replying! That's great news and will save a lot of time and eliminate potential errors.

In the meantime, I've shifted my AFR maps up/left/richer for some safety.

Name:	Photo 6.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	684.0 KB
ID:	3905

Name:	Photo 7.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	3906

By the way, does anyone have issues with SDL/TMatrix.Resize errors? I think the table dimensions are too large, thus requiring a paid version of SDL Suite. For the NX 78132, this has happened when trying to open AFR Transient Target Mode 1 and Optimal Transmission Torque For Shifting 15:

Name:	Photo 8.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	3907

Cheers
            You're welcome!
            2017 ACLB Sport 6MT BR - 04B14 Ultimate Test Tune on 92
            TSB PDFs are at nhtsa.gov / Click on Recalls, search by make and model (not VIN), and then click on Manufacturer Communications
            Latest vF Version Download

Comment

In the meantime, I've shifted my AFR maps up/left/richer for some safety. EDIT: Nope, didn't do a thing. Commanded lambda values under load until 4200ish rpm were still 1. Must be an OL/CL thing.

Click image for larger version Name:	Photo 6.jpg Views:	3 Size:	684.0 KB ID:	3905

Click image for larger version Name:	Photo 7.jpg Views:	3 Size:	293.8 KB ID:	3906

Click image for larger version Name:	Photo 8.jpg Views:	3 Size:	281.3 KB ID:	3907

Cheers

Yes this issue should also be resolved with 1.3.0

it is an odd issue, as we have the full license to the software but still prompts the "free light" message on table errors.

Comment

it is an odd issue, as we have the full license to the software but still prompts the "free light" message on table errors.
                Looking forward to the update, then!

I modified my Accelerator - Request to Airload table to bump up the 2k to 3k rpm range, and interpolated rpm line by line from 140 or 160 requested torque to 500, the end of the table. I did not modify anything below 1650 rpm. I did not bump up the absolute maximum value of 389.160 (located 500, 2400). I did not modify the Engine Mapped Expectation Airload table, just because the values were already higher than the RTA table. Here's how my before and after RTA tables look like:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 9 - SHIFTUNE RTA test.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	3947

For what my untrained mind thinks was a pretty conservative change, it triggered a major code, P211904 "Throttle Actuator "A" Control Throttle Body Range/Performance System Internal Failure", killing the tachometer, even with the engine running, and flashing all sort of things. It couldn't be cleared in Techstream, until I rolled back and reflashed the last good map (the one with AFR modifications).

The ECU seems to want to cross check RTA table values with those in another before deciding to go through with a higher airload. The only other table that's shaped similar to the RTA table is AirLoad Control - Throttle Efficiency. I don't know how the values relate to each other though. Do I just take their upper bounds (RTA - 500, TE - 229.166) and just scale upper bound values across the rev range accordingly, and interpolate from (140 or 160) * (229.166/500)? Would you have any other thoughts on this?

Comparison between unchanged RTA and TE tables below. They really, really look alike.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 11 - RTA vs Throttle Efficiency.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	3948

PS This may be related to the codes and limp modes encountered by the 200t crowd in the CL forum, though I can't be certain. The RTA map you provided in my tune was identical to the factory map, so I never encountered any issues with it.

PPS X-axis values on the TE table are ALL (RTA X-axis values * 0.458333). Cell values of the RTA tables are ALL (TE values * 0.52)
                Last edited by ChezGKY; 06-01-2021, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Quick update: I edited all 3 lambda AirLoad Control - Throttle Efficiency tables to look like the Request to Airload table by multiplying each TE cell's value by the % I raised the corresponding RTA cell for that (x,y), ending up with this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo 12 - Edited RTA and TE.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.24 MB ID:	3953

Less than a minute into the test drive, I was met with the same error code again. There really seems to be a yet undefined table holding things back, and I pray it shows up in the next definition update. I can only hope, for in the brief few seconds before the code was set off, the NX responded faster than I've ever felt it respond before.
                  Last edited by ChezGKY; 06-01-2021, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Hello VFTuner . Looks like this error is still present in 1.3.0. No new boost tables for the NX200t 78132 as well.

Comment

I'm still waiting for promised boost tables, load torque patches etc for 200T 89663-53P01.
                      VFTuner any update?

Comment

Originally posted by Tempist View Post
                        I'm still waiting for promised boost tables, load torque patches etc for 200T 89663-53P01.
                        VFTuner any update?
                        it is still being worked on.

Comment

Working...
                        X