Announcement

Collapse

VF TUNER 1.2.9.9.8 Released

- Fix Flash issue - 992kb files support msg (Flasher)
- Update Flasher - Clear screen on exit
- Multiple new 3UR-FBE and 3UR-FE ECUs Supported
- Sequoia/LX/LC 3UR Support
- 2019 0CP70 0CP80 Tundra Full support
- Generation 2 Phase 5 ECU TCU Read And Flash Now Supported
- Generation 2 Phase 5 TCU Read and Upload Functionality
- Generation 2 Phase 5 TCU Brick Recovery Functionality
- Generation 2 Phase 5 ECU Brick Recovery Functionality - Update
- Resources folder (inside installation folder) includes Tuning PDFs - will be continually updated
- Tacoma 4.0L Manual Transmission 2009+ Support Updated
- Other useful changes
See more
See less

Some questions on shift tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions on shift tables

Hello! Can anyone please help me get a grasp of what the differences are among the following shift tables:

Primary Shifting (down and up)
    Primary Shifting 2 (down and up)
    Primary Shifting 3 (down and up)
    ECT PWR Shifting (down and up)
    Upshift Schedule (up only)

Downshift schedule 1 to 2 looks really odd on the first 4 groups. Does this mean the car won't downshift from 2 to 1 if speed is above the values defined for each accelerator angle?:

Click image for larger version

Name:	234.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	932.1 KB
ID:	2377

The kph scale also doesn't seem to translate properly for this ECU definition (NX 78132). The vehicle definitely upshifts from 2 to 3 at speeds over 100kph.:

Click image for larger version

Name:	345.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	938.9 KB
ID:	2378

Any reply would be appreciated. Thank you!

On the Tacoma Primary Shifting 1 is used in almost all driving situations. I think Primary Shifting 5 is used for cold engine conditions. The other maps are almost never used to the point that I've never bothered updating them.

I have also found on the Tacoma that the units make a lot more sense if you interpret them as MPH.

I realize yours is a different vehicle but the control scheme is probably very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by dunlap837 View Post
      On the Tacoma Primary Shifting 1 is used in almost all driving situations. I think Primary Shifting 5 is used for cold engine conditions. The other maps are almost never used to the point that I've never bothered updating them.

I have also found on the Tacoma that the units make a lot more sense if you interpret them as MPH.

I realize yours is a different vehicle but the control scheme is probably very similar.

There will be some naming updates coming up for the shift tables.

Primary 1
      ECT
      Primary Cold Engine
      ECT Cold engine
      4WD Low
      4WD Low Cold engine
      etc

Comment

Originally posted by dunlap837 View Post

Thanks for both replies, dunlap837 and VFTuner . Cold engine conditions! That explains the very conservative limits on Primary Shifting 2's upshift and downshift maps. MPH does make a lot more sense. Just takes up a little more brain processing power converting units to kph, since that's what I'm used to. 😅

3 modes left to figure out on my vehicle: Eco, Normal, and Sport. I assume Sport uses the same map as Sport+.

Viewing the downshift maps on the factory tune, PS3's tables seem to be more aggressive than ECT PWR's tables, while PS's seem weaker than ECT PWR's, except for the 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 maps. To trace the modes out, I neutered all but ECT PWR's maps, which I made super aggressive. Hope to sort all this out in a few road tests.

EDIT: Good news: all ECT PWR downshift maps correspond to Sport mode. Very strange how some parts were less aggressive than other tables from the factory, especially when the pedal angle x-axes are considered.

EDIT 2: Apparently the reason why PS3's map seemed more aggressive on the low end than ECT PWR's was because that's the map Sport+ refers to. I discovered this after flashing another file with all downshift tables but PS3's neutered - even Sport mode didn't want to downshift from different gears. I've yet to flash back the ECT PWR isolator file to find out if Sport and Sport+'s downshift tables are completely independent of each other, or if Sport+ eventually refers to ECT PWR's top end which would make sense given the more aggressive values there.
        PS I wish I could just paste screenshots here like in other forums and not have to upload them one by one

Juiced up ECT PWR DS map:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ECTPWR.jpg Views:	3 Size:	463.1 KB ID:	2439

Neutered PS3 map:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ECTPWRPS3.jpg Views:	3 Size:	447.0 KB ID:	2440

Neutered PS map:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ECTPWRPS.jpg Views:	3 Size:	454.7 KB ID:	2441

Untouched PS2 map showing current tune vs stock map. Note lower limits on stock map:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ECTPWRPS2.jpg Views:	3 Size:	472.2 KB ID:	2442
        Last edited by ChezGKY; 04-08-2021, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Findings so far, which I will continuously update as I make different isolator files:

DOWNSHIFT TABLES - Determined by juicing up one group at a time and dumbing down all others. 4 to choose from (PS, PS2, PS3, PWR)

- All ECT PWR downshift maps correspond to Sport mode. Some of ECT PWR's factory tables were less aggressive than Primary Shifting 3's factory tables when pedal angle x-axes are considered, especially at the lower percentages, because...

- Primary Shifting 3 is the downshift map Sport+ refers to for 4 to 3, 5 to 4, and 6 to 5, apparently. I discovered this after flashing another file with all downshift tables but PS3's neutered - even Sport mode didn't want to downshift from different gears.

- The Downshift 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 tables in the Primary Shifting 3 group didn't affect any of the modes. I suspect they merely serve as filler tables in the file.

- Eco and Normal mode share the same downshift table from the Primary Shifting group.

UPSHIFT TABLES - Determined by forcing one group at a time to shift at 10-15% pedal speeds even with the accelerator fully depressed and keeping others as they were. 5 to choose from (PS, PS2, PS3, PWR, Upshift)

- Whatever is entered into Primary Shifting's upshift tables seems to automatically carry over to Upshift Schedule's tables and vice versa.

- Primary Shifting's upshift tables corresponded to both Eco and Normal mode. I suspect only torque request calculations, "shift now or not" logic, and maybe accelerator pedal % scaler vary between the two modes, aside from non-driving-related items such as weaker A/C, etc.

- Adjusting Primary Shifting's upshift tables ALONE was able to cover both Eco and Normal modes.

- Primary Shifting 3's upshift tables were untraceable.

- ECT PWR's upshift tables dictate Sport and Sport+ modes' shift points.

- The Eco/Norm and Sport/Sport+ mode groups can have their own manual mode max speed/rev limit.

- Shift points under the 90%, 100%, and 127.998% accelerator values had to be ridiculously high for them to override the factory 6000rpm shift point. I have 90% set at 115% of factory speed values and 100% and 127.998% set at 137% of factory speed values. The NX still auto-upshifted when I set 90% to 105% of factory speed values.
          Last edited by ChezGKY; 04-12-2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X